ADRC County Email GoTime

Marriage License

For your convenience, the following contains information that should help you in your plans as well as briefly explain what you must do prior to coming to this office to make your application.
Where to Apply
County Clerk's Office room 108, Courthouse, Viroqua. 608-637-5380. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call to schedule. 

We ask that you come in between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. as the application process takes about 30 minutes. Regular office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Courthouse is closed on Saturday, Sunday, and legal holidays.

When to Apply

Upon making application, a 3-day waiting period is required before license may be issued, excluding the day of application. It is recommended that you apply 2-6 weeks before the ceremony to allow for the 3-day waiting period.

Special Dispensation

Although a 3-day waiting period is required by law, this may be waived for a good cause by the County Clerk for a fee of $10.00. The license is good for 60 days from issuance date. There is a six month waiting period for remarriage after granting of divorce judgment.


Persons are of age to marry without parental consent at age 18. Between 16 and 18 years of age, you are required to submit signed consent forms of both parents or guardians at time of, or prior to, application. Both parents should be present at time of application.


Cash or check only. The fee for the marriage license is $70.00 in Vernon County. Prices may differ slightly in some counties. 

Procedure for Vernon County Residents
  1. Both parties must be present at the time of application at the County Clerk’s office.
  2. The marriage must be performed in Wisconsin.
  3. Residents of Wisconsin must apply for a marriage license before the County Clerk in any county in Wisconsin. The couple may then be married in any county in Wisconsin.
  4. Both parties must furnish:
    • Certified birth certificates-Must contain the official seal and signature of the County Register of Deeds (a hospital record does not qualify).
    • Driver’s licenses
    • Proof of Residency - If drivers License is not correct 
    • Social Security numbers, card not required.
    • If there has been any previous marriages, Death CertificatesJudgment of Divorce (with judge’s signature), or Civil Annulment papers (with judge’s signature) including dates.
    • Name, address, and phone number of Officiant.
    • Date and place of intended marriage (Address  AND Municipality. - City, Township or Village and County)
    • Years of education.
    • Cash or checks are accepted as form of payment. (We are unable to accept credit or debit cards.) Cost is $70 (Waiver fee is an additional $10). 
    • Out of Country Applicants: Copies of birth certificates or divorce papers must be in English or translated to English by a government office. This translation must be notarized.  
Procedure for Out of State Residents:
The procedure for two out of state residents is the same as for state residents except that the marriage license must be obtained in the county in which the couple plans to be married.