Vernon County’s Sobriety Court Program is a 14-month court supervised outpatient treatment program designed for individuals who have been convicted of alcohol related offenses. The length of the program may be extended if necessary, to ensure successful completion. Participants will be placed on supervision with the Department of Corrections for at least 2 years. The program consists of five phases during which the participants are required to participate in weekly substance use disorder therapy groups, attend peer support meetings, check-in daily, undergo urinalysis testing at least twice weekly, attend individual therapy sessions as well as appointments with both their Probation & Parole Officer as well as the Court Coordinator.
To be eligible for consideration for participation in Sobriety Court a proposed participant must:
- Be a resident of Vernon County.
- Have a COMPAS risk/needs score of moderate or high. Alternatively, the Impaired Driving Assessment (IDA) may be used with a score of moderate/high being acceptable.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Sentenced for 3rd offense OWI or higher with a minimum incarceration exposure of 9 months, or referred by the Department of Corrections as an Alternative to Revocation (ATR).
- Screened as meeting DSM-5 criteria for a substance use disorder moderate or severe
- Willing to complete the program and abide by all program rules.
An individual is not eligible for the program if they have one or more prior convictions for a felony crime of violence involving the use or attempted use of force against a person with the intent to cause death or serious bodily harm.
- Submit the referral form as well as any documentation to the Court Coordinator either in-person @ 400 Courthouse Square Room C-01, Viroqua WI or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Coordinator will contact the potential participant for a short interview as well as have several releases of information signed. The referral will be filed with the Clerk of Courts.
- The potential participant needs to call the Family & Children’s Center (FCC) @ 608-637-7052 and schedule an appointment for a clinical intake assessment to be completed. At the time of the call please identify that this is for Sobriety Court. If you do not have insurance please contact the Court Coordinator who will assist you in obtaining this.
- Once the results of the clinical assessment are received and the potential participant is reviewed by the Sobriety Court team, the Court will be notified and the determination of eligibility will be filed with the court.
If you are interested in learning more about the Sobriety Court Program please contact Vernon County Recovery Court Coordinator Monica Horner at (734) 625-5431.
Vernon County Drug Court Coordinator
400 Courthouse Square, Room C-01
Viroqua, WI 54655