Vernon County



Land and Water Home


News and Events

  Parks and Forests
  Conservation Practices
  Flood Control Structures
  Land Information Office
  County Surveyor
  Coon Creek Watershed
  Tree Sale
  Vernon County Home


Grade Stabilization

Grade Stabilization structures are also commonly known as Farm Ponds, Farm Dams, Dry Dams, or Wet Weather Dams.

These structures are typically situated on the landscape where concentrated flow is so strong that it causes significant erosion and even “cutting back” into the farm fields.  These structures are typically designed as an earthen embankment and a stable spillway for the water to flow if water exceeds the capacity of the structure.  Smaller structures without a spillway are commonly designed with an outlet pipe.

Many folks come in interested in having a pond on their land.  These Grade Stabilization Structures are designed to control erosion, and are not guaranteed to ensure a year round water source. 

NRCS Grade Stabilization Link



Vernon County Land and Water Conservation Department
220 Airport Road
Viroqua, WI 54665
(608) 637-5480